I am sure the name itself would be making you drooling right now!!
Dessert is a complete weakness of every member in my family. We always save room for it without fail.
Talking about Sticky dates pudding, Its an absolutely perfect dessert to indulge during winter/monsoon season. I have been hearing, readings and starring at the drooling pictures of Sticky dates pudding in magazines, food blogs, tv shows. However when the time comes to prepare a dessert, this one never hit my mind and I guess today was the day meant for it. Few days back, my husband, Shahul brought few packs of medjool dates and I decided to try the pudding as the climate was also a bit favorable – chilling with some rain in Doha.
The preparation of the pudding is not that hard. However like any other baking food, accuracy is vital. Everything needs to weighed and should be at room temperature- that is the key. Once you are ready with the ingredients, first step is to soften the pitted dates with boiling water and some bicarbonate of soda and cool it down. Meanwhile you can beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add an egg and beat until combined.
Just pulse the cooled dates, pour it the butter mix, add the dry ingredients and mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula. Never ever over mix your batter, otherwise you will get a hard piece of cake. Now you are good to go with the batter. Pour it into your baking pans or ramekins and bake it at 180C for 25-30 minutes until it is cooked through and bounce back to touch or until a skewer/tooth pick comes out clean. Leave it to cool for 5 mins.
For the Toffee sauce, put every ingredient in a sauce pan, bring to boil. Once you see the bubbles on the sides of the pan, reduce the flame and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Rest and cool the sauce a bit. Resting helps the sauce to thick and attain accurate consistency you are looking for. If you cook it for longer time and then cool it down, you end with a thick grainy sauce than a soft melt down one. You can reheat the sauce just before serving.
Turn down the dates cake in to serving plate, poke some holes on the top and pour the hot sauce, This will let the cake to absorb the sauce and make it really sweet and sticky when you dig into it.
To serve, scoop vanilla ice cream on top and to make it fancy, pour toffee sauce on to the ice cream right before the guest to impress !! it is going to be drooling moment to see the ice cream melting down with the hot sauce.
Caution : This dessert is heavy, sweet , so make sure to have a light meal. Enjoy!!
- Pitted Medjool Dates : 145gm
- Water : 160 gm
- Bicarbonate of Soda : 1/2 Tsp
- Butter : 40gm
- Egg : One large
- Vanilla Extract : 1/2 Tsp
- Self Raising Flour : 94gm
- Brown Sugar : 75gm
- Ground Cinnamon : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : 1/4 tsp
- Toffee Sauce
- Brown Sugar : 150gm
- Cream :180 gm
- Butter : 20 gm
- Corn Syrup : 20 gm
- Vanilla Extract :1/2 Tsp
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Lightly Grease and flour your muffin pan or ramekin.
- In a sauce pan, add the dates, water and bring to boil. Add the bicarbonate of soda and close the lid. Cool it down for 20-25 mins.
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add egg and beat to combine.
- Pulse the cooled dates in a blender and pour it to the butter egg mix along with vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and using a spatula, slowly and softly combine all together. Pour the mix equally to your pans.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until cooked through and bounce back on touch or a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Rest on the counter top for 5 mins.
- For the toffee sauce, put all the ingredients in a sauce, bring it to boil under a medium high heat stirring continuously. Once it comes to boil, lower the flame and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Set aside to cool. Warm the sauce before serving.
- After the resting time of 5 mins, place the cake upside down in a serving dish, pokes some holes on top. Drizzle the warm toffee sauce on top which will help the cake to absorb it and moisten and makes it sticky all the way through.
- Serve the pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and more sauce on top. Enjoy.