Happy Mother’s Day to all the beautiful mum’s out there. For a change, wish your mum today and cook something special for her to show your love. And here is my dish for my mum – Sloppy Joe Pie.!!
Most of you may be familiar with ‘Tastemade’ – one of the TV network shows that I love to watch always. They come up with unique & easiest cooking ways with great flavors . The short videos of theirs really help us to to move faster and can grasp some real cooking techniques.
Recently I came across a recipe video called ‘ Sloppy Joe Pie’. It looked absolutely sloppy and delicious which I could not refrain from trying. Thankfully I had most of the ingredients needed for it.
Pies are one of the dishes that me and my mom love, especially when you have succulent cheesy, a bit saucy meat and veggies beneath the top crust. And this recipe was exactly I was looking for with a soft piece of bread on top.
Though I am mentioning the method of preparation here, do take an effort to watch their video and then make it, so that you have an idea of the texture and consistency of the meat mix and the top batter.
Recipe Courtesy : Tastemade Sloppy Joe Pie
Enjoy cooking !!
- For the filling: 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the topping: 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- LET'S GET COOKING...
- n a skillet, cook ground beef until browned. Discard most of the fat from the skillet. Stir in onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until the vegetables have softened.
- Then on medium- high heat, stir in ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and a few tablespoons of water. Mix well and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, oil, milk, and egg.
- Spoon the Sloppy Joe filling into individual ramekins or pie dish, and then top with shredded cheese.
- Spoon the batter on top and sprinkle a little more. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and fully cooked.
Mine was less saucy than the original recipe since I like it that way. And potatoes instead of bell peppers.